[G4] Analog to Digital Video Help

sr ferenczy srf7425 at rit.edu
Mon Dec 1 02:56:37 PST 2003

i believe imovie will only accept DV footage, so you will have to see
what format the belkin device records in (most likely NOT DV-unless it
is a USB 2.0 device, but then you need a USB 2.0 card...)

http://www.formac.com/p_bin/?cid=solutions_converters_studiodv

most capable devices are like the link above, around $200 and firewire.

and most of the USB 1.1 solutions that allow higher resolution
capturing are priced the same as the firewire bridges, and still wont
allow imovie to use the footage (they are usually mpeg1 or mpeg2) such
as this one:

http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_Item.cfm?ID=5448&Item=ADSMACAV1750

basically, you are probably going to need to use firewire if you want
to use imovie. i suppose one otehr option would be to imort using a
cheap usb device, they use quicktime/QT pro to encode it into DV then
see if you can import it into imovie (should work) but the results
would add generational loss to the final product.

YMMV

sandor