[G4] Analog to Digital Video Help

Mel Krewall mkrewall at mac.com
Mon Dec 1 17:54:13 PST 2003

Diane,
Yes, I have used the InterView device.  This is what it says in the
Read Me:

"InterView For Mac OS X allows you to use the XLR8 (now Daystar [Mel])
InterView to capture video and take screen shots under Mac OS X. Video
can be captured at 352 x 240 at 29.97 frames per second for NTSC video
sources, and 352 x 288 at 25 frames per second for PAL/SECAM sources.

	InterView movies are saved as QuickTime movie files that can be played
back on a machine on which InterView is installed, or exported to
QuickTime formats such as Sorenson, or Photo JPEG for playback on all
machines with QuickTime installed.

	InterView movies may also be saved as DV streams allowing them to be
exported into Apple's free iMovie multimedia editing package.

	A still image capture option is available with resolutions of 704 x
480 (NTSC) or 756 x 576 (PAL/SECAM) sources. Interpolation is used to
deinterlace the scan lines. Still images can be saved in a wide variety
of formats."

I have successfully imported the video from my Sony 8mm camcorder and
converted it into DV, which I then edited in iMovie and burned in iDVD.
If played from the resulting DVD the video does of course fill the
screen. If you don't want to get a DV camera or bridge, this will work
fine. The video is not up to DV quality, but that is a cost/quality
tradeoff.

BTW, I did suggest the InterView device when you asked before in my
original response to your post. If I recall correctly, that thread took
a bit of a detour from your original question.
Mel

"They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more
complicated than that."
  ~Gardner Dickinson