[G4] Installing Panther on a different disk

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Sat Dec 6 21:29:36 PST 2003

On 12/05/03, Bill Corea <wcorea at world.std.com> wrote:

> My copy of Panther arrived last night and I'm getting ready to
> install it, but I have a question.  My current system (10.2.6) is
> installed on a 20 gig disk, that has only (!) 4.75 gig free.  I would
> like to install Panther on my other disk which is a 30 gig that has
> 18 gig free.  I'd like to copy the users and other prefs from my old
> system to my new system.  Is there a way to install on one disk,
> while referring to an old system on another disk?

Do this. Use CarbonCopyCloner and clone the 10.2.6 to the 30 GB drive. Then
install Panther on top of it, using Archive and Install, saving network
settings. This will do exactly what you want and is better than trying ot
set up references to the old system. After checking out that everything is
working properly, delete the Previous System folder.