Processor upgrades - anyone selling?

csean at poc.it csean at poc.it
Fri Dec 12 08:34:25 PST 2003

Those Dual G4 processor upgrades do like nice, so anyone who is buying
themselves one for Christmas (or having Santa bring it for them), and who
has a previous single processor upgrade in their G4 (e.g., G4/800 and up),
I'd be interested in buying it off you. The spare cash is a bit tight at the
moment and, while I'm sure the singles will come down in price fairly soon
(I've seen the Powerlogix 800 at $199 already), I'd love to get that upgrade
sooner rather than later. For anyone going with a Dual upgrade, and who may
have been thinking of trading the old single processor in on the new
purchase (e.g. OWC or Powermax), given that they give you so little on the
trade-in anyway, I'd be interested in buying it off you for a fair price.

That said, can anyone confirm/deny the reports that Powerlogix G4 single
processor upgrades are a bit troublesome? And confirm/deny that Gigadesigns
and OWC are solid and trouble free? (As I've read at xlr8yourmac).

Ideally I'm looking for something from G4/1000 and up (even better if it's
overclockable).

As cash is tight, I hope not to have to look at a new purchase till late
2004 at least. Got the Radeon 8500 (Mac-flashed PC version) in the old
G4/400, and that combined with a G4/1000 would keep the Panthers at bay for
a while yet.

Any help much appreciated. Thanks,

Chris