[G4] Broadband Speed Liar's Poker

sr ferenczy srf7425 at rit.edu
Sat Dec 13 13:58:26 PST 2003

a Kilobit/second (Kbps) (normal parameter ISPs use to measure the
bandwidth they give you) is 8x greater than a Kilobyte/second (KBps)
(the normal parameter ftp clients, web browsers, etc use when referring
to network/transfer speed)

1500 Kbps would be 1500/8 or 187.5 KBps, 87.7 KBps would be 701.6 Kbps.
so yes, that speed seems to be slower than your maximum, but the
limiting link in the chain is not necessarily your ISP, it could be the
server you are downloading from, or even some switch along the line
(the more "jumps" the more possibilities for slow downs)

from a fast server, such as apple.com's with a large download, i get a
consistent 178 KBps (1424 Kbps) on my 1.5 Mbps DSL connection (thats
1500 Kbps or 187.5 KBps)  -- 1 Mb=10 Kb --  BUT 1 MB=1024 KB!!

confused yet?? =)
your speed is looking good-if you tested at about 1500 Kbps, then the
server you were downloading the 87.7 KBps from is probably just
slower....

sandor