DSL Speed

Richard Kriss kriss at qsl.net
Sat Dec 13 17:40:03 PST 2003

I found Sandor's comment interesting.  How do you know the speed of your DSL
connection?

I am new to SBC DSL sbcglobal.net and they said nothing about the speed of
the DSL; however, I  have heard comments from relatives in other cities that
SBC has several levels of pricing depending on the desired speed. This
sounds like a giant rip off.  Can they really put a governor on the DSL?

The DSL may not be as fast as cable but for half the price it is a good
deal.  I don't need more speed. Just trying to understand what I have.

> disagree, i have a 1.5 Mbps DSL connection, and only pay $25 a month
> for it from Verizon. much better than the raping of $55 a month Comcast
> wants for a 2 Mbps cable connection....
>
> sandor

It was also interesting to read several of the comments that the download
speed depends on the servers.   I just did a Safari download from Apple and
was getting about 160 KB per sec and did another at 210 KB per sec.  My
first posting at 87.7 KB per sec was from a non Apple site.

Dick