[G4] Connecting to a PC

Marc van Gemert listz at xs4all.nl
Tue Dec 16 03:59:02 PST 2003

Jim Elmore wrote:
> I have a new PC in the office. I'd like to be able to mount a Mac volume on
> the PC. The best I can do is access my home folder. Is there a way to mount
> an entire volume on the PC?

For this purpose I use a freeware preference pane/app called
SharePoints. I used version 3.2 with Jaguar and still use it in Panther,
I now see there's a 3.3 version for Panther BTW. I use the preference
pane part, very easy, create a new share, name it, enable Windows (SMB)
and/or Mac (AFP) sharing. Don't forget to enter the windows domain name
there aswell, usually MSHOME. I also had to enter this in the Address
Utility or something like that in the Utilities folder in the Apps
folder. From then on you're able to mount to whole HD, or partitions in
my case. There's even an option to hide system files starting with a
period (.).

With SharePoints I'm able to use my B&W G3 with 2x
80Gb/7200rpm/8MB/ATA133 in a RAID 0 set up on a Sonnet ATA133 RAID card
running 10.3.1 as a server for all my other Macs, my PC, my bro's PCs
and everyone else joining my LAN parties :-).

Marc

*
*