[G4] Have to be able to laugh at ourselves....

Dominic Ibarra dibarra at mindspring.com
Wed Dec 17 16:38:27 PST 2003

I found it hilarious! But I also find Mexican jokes funny and I am
Mexican. Of course its biased, that is the point. He is making fun of
the whole Mac "experience," of our near zealot loyalty to Apple and how
we have these secret keyboard maneuvers and what not. He did not even
get to the super-secret Flash the PRAM trick! Its mostly dated OS9
stuff, but come on, how can you not laugh at some of his jabs. I am
sure the dude was an actor and this was a gag by some production
company with too much time on their hands.

To satisfy those that have little sense of humor in regards to our
beloved Mac, here was the response from our Mac department:

Is Windows a Virus?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No, Windows is not a virus. Here's what viruses do:

1.They replicate quickly - okay, Windows does that.

2.Viruses use up valuable system resources, slowing down the system as
they do so - okay, Windows does that.

3.Viruses will, from time to time, trash your hard disk - okay, Windows
does that too.

4.Viruses are usually carried, unknown to the user, along with valuable
programs and systems. Sigh. Windows does that, too.

5.Viruses will occasionally make the user suspect their system is too
slow (see 2) and the user will buy new hardware. Yup, Windows does
that, too.

Until now it seems Windows is a virus but there are fundamental
differences: Viruses are well supported by their authors, are running
on most systems, their program code is fast, compact and efficient and
they tend to become more sophisticated as they mature.

So Windows is not a virus.

It's a bug.

Dominic