[G4] Memory Utilization

CJ Scaminaci halogenius at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 23 12:40:25 PST 2003

OK, I know UNIX. That App your using probably isn't grabbing the
correct amount of memory being used at any given time. Seeing as in
Panther, the memory manager changed quite a bit from Jaguar. So much
that I had to re-write a large portion of my app for it.

In UNIX VM is called Swap space usually. This swap space, even though
you have 1.25GB of RAM, is always going to be in use. The OS will "Swap
Out" most daemons to make room in the physical RAM for real, running
Apps. OK, UNIX lesson over.

What you'll want to do to check your real amount of RAM being used, as
well as a lot of other OS properties, is to open up Terminal and type
"top". Then hit enter. This will show you every running process, and in
the top of the screen will show you all the memory statistics. I'll
spare myself the typing of what they all mean, seeing as they are
pretty much self explanitory. If you need further explanation of them,
post again and i'll help you out. To get out of the "top" screen, type
"Control-C".

CJ Scaminaci
Project Halo: Webwar Evolved
Lead Software Engineer-Macintosh Development
http://webwar.sourceforge.net
http://sourceforge.net/projects/webwar
HaloGenius at sbcglobal.net