[G4] iDVD and burning DVD's

Steve Goldstein sng at cox.net
Fri Dec 26 19:54:21 PST 2003

At 10:27 PM -0500 12/26/03, S Austen wrote:
>Is the only way to get iDVD, to buy iLife, which includes iPhoto,
>iMovie, and iTunes that are already part of Jaguar?

I think the answer is "yes."

>Is it worth the $49.00 or is there a better (cheaper ?) way to burn DVD's?

Depends.  For about twice the price, you can get the full-featured
Toast 6 Titanium, but that is mainly for burning data discs, both CDs
and DVDs (I tried a VCD and was not pleased with the results).  BUT .
. . if you want to burn movies from a digital camera to DVD, using
iMovie to edit and compose your movie, then iDVD is the cheapest way
that I am aware of to burn it on a Mac.

The encoding takes a long time, BTW, and a 1-hour movie takes close
to 20 GB of disc space (I checked my HD, and a movie that was almost
60 minutes takes up just under 16 GB, but, as I recall, it required
even more space during the encoding process).

The results were unbelievable.  It seemed like studio-quality video
when played on our TV.  Be cautioned that along the way, the
intermediate products, both video and sound, were often so distorted
that I thought that I had blundered.  I don't really understand why
(maybe my 800 MHz processor and is too underpowered to be rendering
things properly on the fly?), but again, the final product was
outstanding.

The documentation (iMovie -> iDVD-> finished DVD disc), BTW, is
TERRIBLE-to-non-existent.

Good luck,

Steve