[G4] unable to trash documents

Joseph B. Gurman gurman at gsfc.nasa.gov
Sun Dec 28 05:51:15 PST 2003

     CJ Scaminaci wrote:

>>I was wondering if anyone could help me. Running Jaguar, I can't trash
>>3  documents on my desktop, it said that it cannot trash the documents
>>because it is not finished with a task it was performing? Held down the
>>option key and also restarted the computer and it still gives me that
>>message.
>
>If you can use terminal, do this.
>
>Launch Terminal
>Type "cd desktop"
>Press Enter
>Type "rm -rf FILE NAME"
>Press Enter
>
>Type the last command for each file. That should do the trick.

     A few comments:

1. The unix syntax allows: rm -rf <filename1> <filename2> <filename3>

2. All the "f" switch on the rm instruction does is attempt to
override permissions on the file without asking you for confirmation;
if you don't have sufficient privilege to do so, it still won't work.
If it doesn't work, try: "sudo rm -rf <filename1> <filename2>
<filename3>" instead, and be prepared to enter an administator
password (presumably yours, if you're the only user on the machine).

3. If the OS thinks it's using the docs, not even rm -rf will delete
them. Do you know what process is using the docs?

     HTH,

						Joe Gurman
--
"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing sound they make as they go by."
                                                             - Douglas

Joseph B. Gurman, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, Solar Physics
Branch, Greenbelt MD 20771 USA