[G4] Old vs new G4 - Audio problems?

Cameron Kaiser spectre at stockholm.ptloma.edu
Sat Feb 1 09:03:16 PST 2003

> > I know about the fan problems (largely solved by the 4.4.8f2 firmware
> > update) and the audio-in hum (which I circumvent with a USB audio processor

> I just purchased the discontinued DP 1ghz MDD model. It hasn't arrived yet
> and I am extremely worried about what I've done. I didn't see all the
> commotion about these possible "lemons" before I bought and I'm pretty
> pissed at myself for not being more thorough in my research.
>
> Anyway, I don't have a USB audio processor. I use the original MOTU 2408
> with PCI card. What am I in for? I also use the sound out port of my Mac
> hooked up to my mixing board and thru the stereo for iTunes.

Actually, I think this will work okay, but I'm only doing amateur stuff
with mine.

If you want to go the USB route, I highly recommend the Onkyo USB audio box,
which is pretty cheap ($40 at Fry's with lots of pack in software) and needs
no drivers in 9.1 and up. It has USB in/out and even comes with a built-in
hub. I've been very pleased with the quality.

 Cameron Kaiser, Point Loma Nazarene University * ckaiser at stockholm.ptloma.edu
-- There's a sucker born every minute. -- P. T. Barnum ------------------------