[G4] Mandrake 8.2 onto a G-4 questions from a complete newbie to linux

Tracker at aol.com Tracker at aol.com
Thu Feb 6 18:34:37 PST 2003

I think that your biggest problem is that you haven't made a "bootable" CD at all. It appears to me that all you did was to copy data from the Mandrake site to the CD that you burned.

You have to provide "Boot information" to the CD in order for it to be "bootable" in your Mac. That means that you have to include an active System folder in the data that you are burning on the CD. If you fail to include that data, all you get is another data CD without an active OS to boot from.

When I am creating a "bootable" CD with Toast, I have always been instructed to insert a bootable CD such as a system installation CD for Toast to copy the "Boot information" and include that information on the CD that I am burning.

Hope this information points you in the right direction.