[G4] g4 new vs old

John Pugh pughimag at att.net
Fri Feb 7 07:20:40 PST 2003

Try 20-30% humidity in the winter(I have a hygrometer so that I can measure
the humidity in the room where my piano is kept). I don't let it stop me but
the soles of many shoes and especially socks accumulate static electricity
very quickly. I have a humidifier in the piano room to get the humidity up
to 40% in that room.

You will be fine if you leave the three-prong power cord in the machine but
keep the power switched off while you discharge yourself on the chassis.
Once discharged you can touch the chassis from time to time to make sure but
you should not start accumulating charge again unless you move around.
Personally I pull stuff out and plug it in whenever I need to. I have never
zapped anything electronic using the above precautions.

Now if you're working on a bench with chips etc, by all means put on a wrist
strap.