[G4] Noise issue

Gene Steinberg gene at macnightowl.com
Fri Feb 7 07:38:42 PST 2003

On Friday, February 7, 2003, at 08:31  AM, David Crandon wrote:

> Supposedly the new models are much quieter.
>
> David Crandon

Let me try to clear this up a little bit.

I've worked with the MDD Power Macs in my home office, and checked out
a number of them in dealer showrooms.

I do not regard them is overly noisy, no more so than the QuickSilver
Power Mac I also use.

But it's also true that a number of users have different opinions. It's
possible there is some variation in quality that makes some more noisy
than others, or that certain individuals are more sensitive to the
noise/. Some of those who have complained about the problem have even
gone to third party suppliers to replace power supply fans to quiet
them down. However, there is an Apple Knowledge Base document that
covers the subject, suggesting that customers go to authorized service
providers for assistance. This would seem a better alternative, since
modifying the power supply would also void the warranty.

In any case, anyone who wants to buy an MDD Power Mac from the previous
generation should listen to the computer at a dealer before taking it
home. Put your ear up close and make sure it is not disturbing. Now
bear in mind most users do put minitowers on the floor, so the noise
will be less obtrusive in any case, but it doesn't hurt to check.

Apple says the newer models are quieter, but there's nothing wrong in
comparing one against the other, especially if the older model can be
had for really good price. The differences aren't that vast.

_ _ _ _
Peace,
Gene Steinberg
Author, "Mac OS X.2 Jaguar Little Black Book"
http://www.macnightowl.com
Co-author, "Attack of the Rockoids"
http://www.rockoids.com
Correspondent, Gannett News Service