[G4] Noise issue

Joseph B. Gurman gurman at gsfc.nasa.gov
Fri Feb 7 08:23:47 PST 2003

     Don Fuller wrote:

>All indications point to Apple having fixed the noise problem in the
>new 2003 Power Macs. They've replaced the 2-60mm Delta fans in the
>power supply  with 2-60mm Nidec fans  and also changed the Heatsink fan
>to a different type. Overall the 2003s are quieter, BUT, still make a
>little hum.

     I happened to be in the Apple Store in Clarendon (Arlington),
Virginia, yesterday, and saw why the heatsink fan has been changed:
the heatsink is completely different from that in the original
dual-mirrored-doors models. Instead of thick, aluminum heat fins (~ 2
mm thick), the new heatsink is composed of far more (~ 50 - 60), very
thin fins of what looks like some alloy with a coppery/bronzey color.
The fins are as thin as those in some of the new, butterfly-wing-like
heatsinks I've seen in high-performance, do-it-yourself PC's; in
fact, they have bracing along the top edges, presumably to keep them
from being deformed by accidental contact.

     FWIW, I was in the store to bring my dual-1 GHz dual-mirrored Mk.
1 in because the ADC video from the Radeon card had died, and the
power button/power manager was acting strange: press the power button
and its LED only glowed momentarily, though the fans came on, the
system booted, and DVI video worked just fine. Even USB through the
ADC connector worked OK, but no video and no power LED on a connected
ADC monitor (tried several, so I know it wasn't the monitor). I was
on the phone to AppleCare before bringing the machine in; they had me
trying to reset the PMU, but that didn't help, nor did multiple PRAM
resets. Anybody seen this behavior? Is it a power problem or a Radeon
one? (I asked if by some miracle if it were the power supply, they
could see their way clear to replacing the unit with one of the new
ones with the quieter fans, but alas, they claimed they had to
replace parts with the identical part number.)

     Score one for OS X, though: even without the video, the system
booted normally, and continued working as an IP gateway for our home
network.

						Joe Gurman
--
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they go by."
                                                          - Douglas

Joseph B. Gurman, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, Solar Physics
Branch, Greenbelt MD 20771 USA