[G4] Noise issue

KathyMac! Mac4Music at MusiCareOnline.org
Fri Feb 7 15:37:01 PST 2003

Perhaps I can be of some help concerning the noise issue in the MDD G4s.

Up until last week I owned the best G3 Beige Tower anyone could hope for.
Loved it and still do. But since I wanted a G4 processor for the iLife apps
and Apple was now officially starting to release machines that were OS X
ONLY, I decided I had to strike and get a new model (I very much need OS9).

So, the day Apple announced the new line of G4s I quickly pounced on the
discontinued MDD dual processor 1GHZ model at an internet reseller. I saved
$700 and I picked up a 22" Cinematic Display in the process for peanuts.

While waiting for the new system to arrive I began uncovering the ugly
rumors of how these machines were so loud, the fans were defective, and the
audio out port was nothing but buzz and static. I began to panic and was
really pissed at myself for not doing more research before buying. I was
very close to cancelling my order while it was still in transit to me.

I started reading of some solutions and tips and various other bits of info
at every website, message board, and email list I could find.

So what was the outcome?

I am pleased to say that I am very happy with my purchase and think that
MAYBE some of the complaints are due to people not really knowing how to
apply some simple fixes.

1. I plugged in the audio port to my sound system and sure enough, it was
the most god-awful buzz and static I've ever heard. Completely unusable. I
ran (actually I drove!) to Radio Shack and picked up the Ground Eliminator
(part no. 270-054) and plugged it in and voila! It was completely clean.
Beautiful. Now, obviously having to buy a $15 part for a $2000 computer is
rather sad  but at least it is fixed.

2. I immediately disabled the second processor in OS9 since 9 doesn't really
use it and that fixed the super high fan from coming on. In the Extensions
folder you just move the "Multiprocessing" folder to the disabled Extensions
folder. When you do boot into X the second processor will still function as
needed and it is not loud.

3. The supposed hum and whine of the G4 operating? Well, I do agree that
there is a slightly higher pitched "whine" to it than my G3 but the actual
volume level is described much worse than what it really is. In fact, I find
that the G3 is as loud or even louder! Keep in mind that although I have a
cheap desk from Staples, it DID come with a door where the tower sits so it
is actually enclosed in the desk. That reduced the hum of my G3 for years
and does so now for the G4. You should also know that I am one of those
people that have to sleep with a fan on in the room (even in winter) because
I like the white noise. That being said, I DON'T need white noise in my
studio during the day and I really don't see where the G4 is any different
from my previous G3. I'm using this for professional audio so if it was
total crap I would have to send it back.

Here is the only problem I could not fix:
Even though the processor is turned off in 9 there is a bug that causes the
fans to start up and give you the "leafblower" effect when switching to OS9
DIRECTLY from OS X. It does not do it any other time. There just seems to be
something about switching to the OS9 partition after running in X. This is
solved by simply shutting down from X. Waiting 60 seconds and starting up in
9. It's an extra step but that's my only complaint.

I love my G4 MDD and am glad I have one of the fastest and last models Apple
made before abandoning OS9! Besides, I have already heard of 3rd party
companies developing new fan kits and fixes for those who really want to go
the extra mile and make things super quiet. When those are available,
perhaps I'll do that, too. For now, my battle with noise was easily won with
a couple of adjustments.

Save the money - grab a discontinued model and get a cheap desk that
encloses the tower beind a door.

Hope my experience helps some people.

Kathy LaBonte
www.musicareonline.org