Memory overload in X?

David Boag spikedds at bellsouth.net
Sun Feb 9 20:08:06 PST 2003

Yesterday, I got an alert while surfing the web and playing a Flash
player something-or-other, that Explorer was running out of memory, and
to allocate more memory to that app. Well, I've got a G4 350 AGP , OS
10.2.3, with 640MB RAM, and I was only running 3 aps: IE 5.2, Page
Sender (an excellent shareware fax app, BTW, that runs in the
background with hardly any memory usage), and Meteorologist, again not
a memory hog. IE quit unexpectedly seconds after the alert.

I didn't think this was an issue in X, as I thought X would
automatically allocate memory when it had to. Can anyone explain this,
or tell me what to do to avoid this?

TIA
--
David R. Boag, DDS