[G4] Fitting a Superdrive??

Jim and Micky Richter richterboys at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 19 08:18:44 PST 2003

Superdrive will work without a problem in a Quicksilver.  You just have
to exchange the CDRW for a SuperDrive.  My recommendation is to replace
it with an actual Superdrive (the 104 drive, not the retail Pioneer AO4
drive) because the 104 Superdrive is shorter in length and there is a
guaranteed retrofit.

I now own a Dual-Mirror door 867Mhz G4, but prior to this I had the
second generation 350Mhz AGP Sawtooth G4 (first generation being the
PCI graphics 350).  Around 2 years ago, I removed the stock DVD-rom
drive and replaced it with the new Pioneer AO3 DVD burner.  It fit
without a problem, had plenty of space behind it to release heat, and
Toast, iDVD, and DVD studio Pro all recognized it as a valid Superdrive
(at that time model DVR-103).

When I got my new G4, I decided I would just exchange the stock CDRW in
the 867 for the Pioneer A03.  I found that this wasn't an easy retrofit
because the Pioneer was a longer drive and seemed to get to hot next to
the vertical hard drives.  I went ahead and got a true Superdrive
(DVR-104) from Mac Pros   and put it in the 867.  The Mac drive was a
little thinner.  Not having a Quicksilver, I don't know how cramped
things are in the box but it is something to consider.

Jim