[G4] iDVD-different encoding schemes?

Perry Mitchell perry.mitchell at btinternet.com
Sat Jan 4 14:02:19 PST 2003

To add to all the other answers:
The biggest quality difference is due to iDVD's MPEG2 encoder (and the one
issued with DVDSP) being limited to a constant bit rate (CBR), whereas the
best encoders use a variable bit rate (VBR) dependent on the content. When
there is a lot of action and movement, then a faster rate is enabled and
there are more key-frames inserted to force new I-Frames. Long sequences
with little action (like talking heads) can get good quality with fewer
I-Frames and a much lower data rate. It is the overall average data rate
that dictates the maximum program length on a DVD.
Unfortunately low priced VBR MPEG2 encoders for the Mac are very thin on the
ground, so much so that I bought a PC primarily for this task. TMPGEnc is
available for the PC at around $50 and does a great job for the money.
Perry Mitchell