[G4] How to disable Altivec chip

tomas nygren tomasnygren at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 6 14:32:47 PST 2003

Thanks for the comments!

Well actually I think its some functions/parts (or Vectors) in this Altivec
thing, wherever it is, inside the processor, thats broke since my computer
makes really strange things all the time.

In photoshop 5.5 it makes these streaks (two small parallel rows of
dots/streaks) in the image sometimes, almost looks as a 'calculation' error,
very non polite!

Quicktime 6, when it shows movies it shows also the same streaks on the
images, at a pretty random manner even if the source material doesn't have
them..

The sound freaks out in i.e.
Bitheads Piano Synth S-1 (if you put the Altivec function on in the
preferences..)
Reason freaks out with the same distorted sound....
Even the Apple CD player freaks out, but not other Software cdplayers i.e.
Audion

I have tested my G4 with all kinds of harddrive tools like:
TechTool 3.0.8 (even this program doesnt tell thats something wrong even if
it checks the processor....)
Norton 6.0.3
Apple Disc checker thing, and so on..

ok, then It seems so be that I gotta do this sonnet card thing, encore for
700$

any comment on the Sonnet Encore G3/G4 800MHz/2Mb cache update processor
card???
Is it possible to install it by myself?