[G4] Freezing Mouse

Frank Dutra fdutra1 at attbi.com
Sat Jan 11 06:27:18 PST 2003

Hi,

No answers, just more of the same problem,,, G4 450 DP (gig
ethernet), factory SCSII card (the one that works), 256 MB,  OS 9.2.2
0nly.

Began some time after adding a new IBM Deskstar 60 gig drive and
reformatting the original 40 gig Deskstar with a clean OS
install/upgrade  (I did use the old prefs and now wish I hadn't been
so lazy). A power-off freeze (no LCD/optical mouse lights) requiring
restart independent of ports/hub has been plaguing me occasionally
since. It was initially a lot worse than now... Both ports would go
out sometimes, and it often required multiple restarts to shake it
off. The weird thing is that most of the time, only the Apple Pro
mouse goes out, some of the time the mouse and Apple Pro keyboard,
and rarely both ports(hub). The other weird thing is that it got
better.. crashing only about once a week with occasional hangs which
makes me think hardware. The only thing I've done differently is
remove a few extensions and upgraded Windows Media Player & Eudora.
Sometimes happens with extensions off if I remember correctly. Don't
have an extra keyboard or mouse to do the obvious, have rebuilt the
desktop and zapped the pram.

Possibly another related issue. Indexing of both drives is taking
forever (days) and I'm not sure if it ever has finished both between
crashes/shut-downs.

Thanks

Frank