[G4] CD back-up

Mel mkrewall at mac.com
Sat Jan 11 07:02:18 PST 2003

For backups, the best thing I've found is Retrospect from Dantz
(www.dantz.com). Retrospect Express for Mac is only $49 and it's saved
me many, many times that in pain and suffering. Retrospect won't make
bootable sets, but it will use compression to make your set smaller.
Get a stack of CD-Rs or -RWs (my backup of everything including my
iTunes library ran over 20 CDs) and go after it. It will seem a little
tedious, but if your disk ever fails or you accidently delete your
Quicken file, or wish you could revert to a file you had yesterday
before you changed it today, it will be well worth it.
Backing up to an external HD is an option, but one of the primary
reasons for backing up is to have it on more durable media than a hard
drive. Also, just dragging an OS X partition to another drive and
copying it will NOT make a bootable copy like OS 9 did. There is a
utility that I have not used called Carbon Copy Cloner that will do
that that I have read positive reports on.
Get Retrospect, get backed up, you will someday be glad you did.
Mel