Stupid Drivers Question

Anne Keller-Smith earthpigz at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 10 16:08:55 PST 2003

Thanks for all the input on upgrading to Jag from 10.1.1, etc.

I was attempting to explain today what questions my Dad should
ask his dealer, and realized I'm a little fuzzy on some details.

The scanner came with a CD-ROM with "stuff" on it which we
installed. My understanding is "stuff" comes in two flavors,
(1) drivers, software that enables the device, in this case a
scanner, to communicate with the OS and (2) software, in
this case two applications called "Smart Panel" and
"Photoimpressions." Both were System 9 only and worked
in Classic only after some prodding.

Does the definition of "drivers" always, or even usually,
encompass some way of even primitively using the device
with your computer? In other words, if he upgrades to Jag,
gets the drivers off Epson's site (which they have), how
does he use the scanner? There's no mention of either
Smart Panel or Photoimpressions anywhere. I told him to
ask all parties whether this is available for Jag also or
if it will stay stuck in OS9.

Am I overthinking?

The reason I'm so stupid is I have had Photoshop since
1995 and so the issue has never come up. I always scan
directly into Photoshop. The aforementioned Photoimpressions
is indeed a pathetic excuse for an imaging program but you
know, aging parents, he spent all the money on the computer,
why should he spend more now?

I want him to buy Photoshop Elements, I think that's the
best choice, but do want to apprise him of all his options.

Thanks for again mentioning Vuescan. If he decides to stay
with OSX.1.1, I may try this route for him. He truly hates
anything to do with Classic.

Anne Keller Smith, Webdesign
mailto:earthpigz at earthlink.net     http://www.earthpigz.com
Please no attachments! Thanks.