[G4] Stupid Drivers Question

Phil A. Lefebvre p-lefebvre at northwestern.edu
Sat Jan 11 11:00:26 PST 2003

On 01/10/03 at 7:08 PM -0500, Anne Keller-Smith wrote:
>Does the definition of "drivers" always, or even usually, encompass
>some way of even primitively using the device with your computer? In
>other words, if he upgrades to Jag, gets the drivers off Epson's
>site (which they have), how does he use the scanner?

You never mentioned the scanner model, but I assume it is a recent
USB model. In that case, it will work directly with Image Capture.
That's what I usually use with my Epson 1640SU (via USB). If the
Epson TWAIN driver is installed, it will use all the Epson features,
otherwise, your stuck with the minimal Image Capture features. I have
the Epson TWAIN driver installed on my G4/450 in OS 10.2 and it works
flawlessly in both manual and auto mode. I don't have the Epson TWAIN
driver on my PowerBook G3/400, so I'm stuck with Image Capture alone
for quick scans, but it works fine.

>There's no mention of either Smart Panel or Photoimpressions
>anywhere. I told him to ask all parties whether this is available
>for Jag also or if it will stay stuck in OS9.

Image Capture is similar to Smart Panel in that you push the scan
button and it will (or can be set to) automatically launch and
preview the document. It will not have the features where you can
send it to different functions automatically, (I already miss the
Print a Copy function) and we'll see if Epson ever updates that. If
they do I'm sure it will work with our older scanners, but I'm not
holding my breath.

Photoimpression had some nice template and catalog features, but I
doubt we'll ever see an OS X version, but so what? It works in
Classic. Even if it didn't there will soon be iPhoto 2, which should
supersede it (for free).

>I want him to buy Photoshop Elements, I think that's the
>best choice, but do want to apprise him of all his options.

I agree that PS Elements would be worth the investment. He should be
able to get the upgrade rebate, and if you look you can find it on
sale for under $50.