[G4] CD back-up

Tracker at aol.com Tracker at aol.com
Sat Jan 11 18:46:51 PST 2003

In a message dated 1/11/03 3:09:06 AM, wappling at tampabay.RR.com writes:

<< I want advice how best to copy my hard disk >>

First, do you have the installation CDs for your computer?

If you do, then you do not need to copy your hard disk in toto. You only need
to copy your HOME folder in OS-X. All the rest of the data can be
re-installed from your installation CDs and then you replace the new Home
folder with your backed up copy.

All your personal preferences and information are contained in your Home
folder and that is much smaller than the system software installation.

If you don't have the OS installation CDs for your machine, go down town
right now and buy a set so you will have them. I guarantee that you WILL need
them some day.

Second, as long as you have the combo drive and can write to CD-RW discs, use
them instead of plain CD-R discs. You can re-use the CD-RWs about a thousand
times before they die as long as you don't let them get scratched on the
recording surface.

By using CD-RW discs, you can back up your Home folder over and over on the
same CD and just name them by the date when you create them. You can easily
tell the newest copy and use any one that you want if you want to go backward
in time.

Third, the software program "Carbon Copy Cloner" is designed to allow you to
copy an OS-X installation with all its invisible files from one hard drive to
another. It isn't a back up program at all unless you have a second hard
drive installed in your computer and have decided to use it for your back up
files.

Using a second hard drive and CCC will give you an exact copy of your
original OS installation that you can use to boot from and replace the files
on your original drive by using CCC again. That saves you all the time that
doing an OS installation from the CDs takes.