[G4] Can I subgroup Apps in Aplication folder

Jim and Micky Richter richterboys at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 12 00:22:15 PST 2003

There is no problem in doing that with third party apps.  I have all my
Adobe apps in an Adobe folder within the application folder, as well as
all my internet apps, Macromedia apps, and utilities.  however, when
you do Apple updates, Apple's updates tend to expect a certain folder
or app within a certain place.  If I file my Applescript folder (within
the application folder) into a subfolder called "apple extras," an
Apple update (such as 10.2.3) won't expect Applescript in this location
and will install a new Applescript folder in the old location (the top
level of the Application folder).  I have seen this repeatedly with
apps such as DVD player, IE5, Mail, Applescript, and other Apple
bundled apps.  But, I've never had this problem with any third party
apps (though don't quote me on this since I've found Norton Utilities
to be somewhat finicky about location).

Jim