IBM Deskstars in new G4's and organization (xpost)

diane diane at mathermotorsports.com
Sun Jan 12 16:59:46 PST 2003

The logic board died in my Yikes! Friday night so I went off to the
Apple Store to buy another. First time I have ever bought a current
shipping machine. While I love it, I know sticker shock will set in
as soon as that first bill rolls in. <sigh>

I was pretty shocked to see the 80G IBM Deskstar in there. I know so
many have complained about them, I though Apple had stopped using
them. Or has IBM actually changed them and made them better?

So if nothing has changed, I am going under the assumption that it
will fail. Assuming that, besides doing frequent backups, am I better
off using the 80G as a storage device and booting machine from  one
of my older ATA-66 IDE 10G drives?

Or do I just make one of the 10G drives bootable also and keep it up
to date so if the 80g goes down I can still use the machine. Or any
other combination.....

I have the 80G, 2 IDE 10G's, an external USB 10G (are those
bootable?) and an 18.2G internal SCSI that I haven't been able to
install yet as I can't push the cage up after releasing it, it's
stuck. There is hope I will find a cheap logic board for the Yikes!
so I can set it back up as a development machine.

Is it possible to get a replacement from the Apple Store when it dies
or is it more complicated than that?

Any advice from those that have been there would be great. I was
really looking forward to 80G!  :)

Thanks,

Diane