[G4] IBM Deskstars in new G4's and organization (xpost)

James Asherman jimash at optonline.net
Mon Jan 13 07:49:32 PST 2003

Jim Robertson wrote:

>On 1/12/03 4:59 PM, "diane" <diane at mathermotorsports.com> wrote:
>

>>I was pretty shocked to see the 80G IBM Deskstar in there. I know so
>>many have complained about them, I though Apple had stopped using
>>them. Or has IBM actually changed them and made them better?
>>
>>So if nothing has changed, I am going under the assumption that it
>>will fail. Assuming that, besides doing frequent backups, am I better
>>off using the 80G as a storage device and booting machine from  one
>>of my older ATA-66 IDE 10G drives?
>>

>I think that's a BIT harsh. There were lots of problems with the model
>number that contained "75", but I've had a few of THEM running for at least
>two years, and none have died yet.
>
>Where do you go racing, and what do you drive?
>
>Jim Robertson

Recently I switched out my Slave drive from a Seagate Barracuda to an
IBM 80 gig DeskStar.
 I worry too. This is my main video capture drive. So far , no problems
or comlaints.
 The drive captures 20min.-1hr with no problems ( a major test) and
spits it back out without dropping a frame.
The only funy thing I notice is that it seems to put itself to sleep if
you don't access it for a while and then it beeps and hesitates as it
gets back up to speed. (on the first access)   Is this normal?  It's
quiet anyway.
Jim