[G4] Truncated Filenames from Windows?

J J jj4 at sympatico.ca
Mon Jan 13 21:22:59 PST 2003

At 11:19 AM -0800 1/1/03, Steve O'Neill wrote:

 >Welcome to one of windoze many dirty little
secrets: nothing has been
 >updated since DOS, only patches upon patches.
Filenames are stored this
 >way, and a separate database maintains the long
file names.

Anne Keller Smith wrote;

Ahhh ...

<Now here's another question, and is there another
Mac advantage to
put on my list?

The other question, which is on topic, is whether
there are
any similar glitches moving from OS9 to X. There
haven't
seemed to be any, from my limited experience going
back
and forth between Dad's machine running OS X.1.1
and mine
running 9.2.1. Files go back and forth just fine.>

Nothing updated (newly writen) just patch...
Sounds alot like Apple-OS9 is based upon the same
principals as OS6-just patched alot. So this is
not an uncommon occurance. I think Apple is the
first OS to really rewrite it all and present a
"finished" OS to the users. I would not be
surprised if Microsoft started anew in the next
few years to catch their OS back up to OSX es high
mark.

As to OS9 file compatibility in OSX, I was
completely surprised to find that my printers PPD
files (in OS9) can be dropped into OSX 10.2.3 and
continue to do their job flawlessly. That is
compatability. I have seen very little problems
with Acrobat5, Photoshop7 and Illustrator10
opening files in OSX that were created in OS9. But
I must admit I have not used OSX enough to be very
definative.

jj