[G4] Buying a G4 Questions

Mel mkrewall at mac.com
Tue Jan 14 18:07:53 PST 2003

I was looking at most of the same choices and I went with the
Quicksilver 933 with the Superdrive that I bought refurb from PowerMax
for $1500. IMHO this hits the sweet spot for performance and price. The
933 has the 133MHz bus (same as the Dual 867) and a fast 7200 RPM disk
drive with SDRAM. The DDR machines do not make full use of the DDR and
the memory is more expensive as well. The 933 has the same GeForce4 MX
video card with 64MB RAM as opposed to the Dual 867 with 32MB. The 933
also has 2MB L3 cache vs. 1MB for the Dual 867. Some of the OS will
feel a little quicker in the Dual, but most application software can't
take advantage of the dual processors, so you're not losing much. The
933 will be faster for most single-threaded applications. For a good
comparison check Apple Knowledge Base article #42739.
The Superdrive is great for DVD-R, but not so great for CD-R. The
Superdrive (8x4x24 for CD) is just slow if you are used to anything
faster (I had a 16x12x32 burner I put in my previous Beige G3 tower). I
put together an external FireWire CD-RW from a 48x24x48 burner and
FireWire case that I mostly use for burning CDs and use the Superdrive
for DVD. External drives will not work with iDVD, so get a machine
equipped with the Superdrive if iDVD is important to you.
I have had very good experiences buying refurb machines from Apple,
Small Dog, and PowerMax. The only way I could tell that my 933 from
PowerMax was not new was that it was in a brown box instead of the
glossy white one with pictures. Everything else was like new, including
the packaging and even protective strips on the drive doors and USB
connectors. They even included the Jaguar update package. From what I
have seen, the prices on refurbs are about what you end up with on eBay
for equivalent machines and you get the full year warranty on the
refurb. My advice would be skip eBay and pick up a refurbished 933.
Good luck whatever you decide.
Mel