[G4] Please help an OSX Dummy

J J jj4 at sympatico.ca
Fri Jan 17 11:08:52 PST 2003

Rich wrote;

"Should I create a new partition for OSX?
And then what data or files do I need to copy or
transfer over to this new
volume? Do I need to install OS9.2 also on this
new partition? How about all
the internet stuff?  Do I just move my apps or do
I need to re-install on
the OSX partition?

B) I also have a Beige Power Mac G3 I
am trying to install OSX.2 on the first partition
which is the 8Gb. I keep
getting an error message that I have to install
OSX on the first 8Gb of the
drive -- which I thought I was doing?"

If you create new partitioins with your OSX CD you
will erase the entire drive. So back it up first.
Maybe on your G3 through ethernet.

Copy your data files from your back-up into your
newly partitioned drive after you instal the OSes.

Re-install all your apps-many OS9 apps do not work
in X. Upgrade your Apps to work woth OSX and
change some of them-like Graphics Converter
instead of MacLink, Safari instead of Netscape or
IE, etc.

If you used the G3 to back-up data before you
partitioned and installed on your G4 now you can
do the same thing again-just the other way
arround. Wipe the drive, partition and install.
Pain in the ass but it's the best way.

I have found that a clean install of OSX seems to
work very well and have not had any problems. I do
however erase the drive with the CD and then
install OSX first, update it and then install OS9
on the second partition and update it. Then, if
you have classic apps pick classic a in your OSX
prefs. And install everything you want. The
advantage to OSX and OS9 on different partitions
is when you need to reinstall one of them. (just
one) I have also found that most every app in OS9
has a counterpart in OSX already-it's not like
OSX10 or 10.1 when it was too new to have
everything you need. Age has its benefits. I found
that I do not want OS9 to launch at all-so update
the apps is key.

jj