New to List, G4, OS X

Winsor Crosby wincros at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 17 18:37:23 PST 2003

I am new to the list and searched it out because of the need for
reassurance and a few answers. Just got a new G4 Dual 1.0 a few weeks
ago and passed on my upgraded G3 Beige to a nephew.

1. After some initial confusion I think I am beginning to like Jaguar.
I have tried to give it a chance on its own before adding anything to
it, but I still have some problems getting to windows that pile up on
the desktop. Windowshade helps. I find it really slow to hunt for
minimized windows on the dock. Does anyone make a Window menu that
lists the open windows grouped by application? I loved the one that
came with Window Monkey but they seem to have fallen by the way in the
transition to OS X.

2. I thought this was the uncrashable OS. I am getting one or two
freezes(endless spinning beach ball) a day that are so profound that
even the power button on the front does not work. Occasionally I can
save it by restarting the finder, but usually I have to reach in the
back and unplug it to reboot.  Is this unusual behavior? I do not have
much on it yet. I have not connected it to any particular sequence of
actions yet. Could it be a hardware problem?  I have added some memory,
but it started crashing when all the memory was the Apple store stuff.

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California, USA