[G4] Problem with Huge File Transfer in X.

Doug McNutt douglist at macnauchtan.com
Sun Jan 19 11:47:05 PST 2003

At 14:05 -0500 1/19/03, J J wrote:
> >>I am trying to transfer a very large file (34GB) from one drive to
>another. The system gets part way through (varies), and stops. No
>panic, just stops.<<

It's an age-old problem with finder.  In OS 6 through 9 I have used transfer by MPW (Macintosh Programmer's Workshop now free from Apple but deprecated), For OS 9 to 10 or vice versa I recommend ftp. Fetch, Interarchy, UNIX ftp from a shell. For OS 10 to OS 10 by all means use UNIX cp from a command line (Terminal command man cp), If you need the resource fork and Finder info use /Developer/tools/CpMac which works the same way but copies both forks between HFS volumes.

Yes. One way or another for two disks on the on the same machine you'll be using a command line. The best things about OS neXt come that way. The effort is well worth it.

--

--> The U. S. Census Bureau missed a bet by not counting all of those embryos in cold storage. <--