[G4] G4 Ram limit

Anthony Howells ah at hobbit.ndo.co.uk
Sat Jan 25 09:16:44 PST 2003

on 25/1/03 11:17 AM, Glen McKnight at glen.mcknight at ntlworld.com wrote:

> Hi
>
> Im not sure if this has been asked before, is there a limit on the Ram you
> can put into a G4 / 350/400/450/500. I have been reading some articles, some
> of which claim only 1 Gig, and others claim over this.
> I have just put 2 512's into a G4/450 and they are seen as 256's.
>
> Glen

Apple says the limit is 1.5Gb, I think it's an OS restriction. But my G4
sawtooth running 10.2.3 once had 3*512 plus a 128, and they all showed up in
'about this mac'. But I don't know if you could actually use it all.

There is a problem with some 512 dimm chips which have the wrong eprom as
far as apple are concerned - and they only show as 256.