[G4] display squished

Doug McNutt douglist at macnauchtan.com
Sat Jan 25 16:21:54 PST 2003

At 15:00 -0700 1/25/03, <ascender at earthlink.net> wrote:
>I have a mac G4; running 9.2.2.  My monitor is suddenly displaying
>everything in a squished mode

Assuming that you have a cathode ray tube monitor. . .

I'll bet on hardware failure. The high voltage used to create the horizontal scan current in the coils is modulated to create horizontal width control including dynamic correction for pincushion distortion. It's a fairly high voltage transistor that is subject to failure. But then it could be an internal adjustment.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. If it's an Apple monitor you'll find that nobody can work on it because of Apple's frustrating unwillingness to divulge maintenance information. Duh, you have to replace the whole printed circuit board. If it's a VGA monitor you have a chance.

Flat panel displays are here - no 25000 volt power. A good idea.

--
--> If you are presented a number as a percentage, and you do not clearly understand the numerator and the denominator involved, you are surely being lied to. <--