[G4] Quicksilver/CD Problems

Joe Ellis jellis at gdeb.com
Wed Jan 29 09:54:38 PST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "ro shriver" <ropho at yahoo.com>
To: "Power Macintosh G4 List" <G4 at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
Sent: Wednesday, January 29, 2003 11:58 AM
Subject: [G4] Quicksilver/CD Problems

> Hello -
>
> I have a Quicksilver 867, running System 9.2.2.
> The Superdrive has been working flawlessly til
> yesterday, when I began experiencing problems with it.
>
> It will burn a CD only sporadically.
>
> Most of the time, a CD will not show up on the
> desktop.  It doesn't seem to matter whether it's a
> blank or a program CD.  In fact, I can't get my System
> CD to show up, nor can I get the Hardware Tester CD to
> show up.
>
> It will rattle around in there for a an extended
> period of time, and then it will eject the CD.
>
> I've tried resetting the PRAM.  Didn't work.
>
> Additionally, when I try to start the computer with a
> CD in the bay, I get a gray screen for an extended
> period of time while the CD tries to mount.  I have to
> end up restarting with my finger depressing the Eject
> button til the CD ejects and the system starts up as
> normal.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Ro

I hope you have Applecare, I had the same problem and after much testing and
trying I was able to convince the Apple tech folks it was indeed a faulty
drive and they sent me a replacement. (They also required that I give them a
$600 credit card charge that they held over my head until I returned the bad
drive.) The drive is easy to replace and I've not had any problems since but
it was a convincer for me to get the extended applecare coverage. The unit
failed inside the 1 year warrenty period but the potential cost for a
failure after the first year was enought to convince me to take out
coverage.

Joe Ellis