[G4] VST Firewire Drive Questions

Ramsey French rammjet at bisnaga.com
Wed Jan 29 13:42:02 PST 2003

On 1/29/03 1:47 PM, "Wade Perry" <wadeperry at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> I am looking for extra storage (aren't we all), and am considering the
> following drive.
>
> VST 20 GB FireWire Hard Drive(external)
>
> D-51437
>
> $99.00

VST is a good company.  But with a little shopping you could do better.

How about installing an 80 Gb drive internally to replace the existing 30/40
Gb drives?  You end up with 40-50 Gb more storage for the same price as the
VST.  You might have to do a little drive swapping to get your data moved
over and don't forget the master/slave settings.

Western Digital 80 Gb 7200 RPM drive for $95 (no tax, free shipping):
http://www.googlegear.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=101318

But if you want the external Firewire drive, consider building your own:

Here is a bare external Firewire case for $47.50.  Oxford 911 chipset.
Populate it with any drive you want.
http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=ME-320F

Western Digital 60 Gb 7200 RPM drive for $89 (no tax, free shipping):
http://www.googlegear.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=101302

Western Digital 40 Gb 7200 RPM drive for $79 (no tax, free shipping):
http://www.googlegear.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=711006-017

Note:  I have no affiliation with Computer Geeks or GoogleGear.  GoogleGear
just presented the lowest prices when considering tax and shipping.
Reference:   http://www.pricegrabber.com