[G4] G4 Ethernet card

Ramsey French rammjet at bisnaga.com
Thu Jan 30 10:25:56 PST 2003

On 1/29/03 11:50 PM, "Ron Goebel" <redial at sport.rr.com> wrote:

> I have a QuickSilver G4 which was booting/running OS 9.2.  Several
> months ago a lightning strike traveled through the ethernet wires of
> my LAN and damaged my built-in Ethernet.  So I added a Farrallon
> 10/100 PCI Ethernet card, chose it in the AppleTalk and TCP/IP
> control panels, and all was well.
>
> Yesterday I installed Jaguar 10.2 and everything else was OK.  But
> the Network Preference Pane only shows Built-In Ethernet, and since
> it is fried, I can't get on the network now.  I've had to boot from
> OS 9.2, and I'm back in business.
>
> Is there a way to make the Farrallon PCI card show up in the Network pane?
>
> Ron

I doubt it.  Farallon was gobbled up by Proxim and they seem to not provide
much support for Macs.  In fact, they only seem to provide whatever support
Farallon had before being gobbled up.  And since Farallon never created
MacOS X drivers for their products, I doubt that you will get your ethernet
card to work in OSX.

I think you will need to get another ethernet card that either has support
built into OSX or the manufacturer has provided OSX drivers.