PCI slot modem card for a G4 ???

martin martin at atelierdesign.net
Thu Jan 30 23:14:54 PST 2003

I have another dumb question , o wise ones of the list.

I have a G4 400 (purchased fall of 2000; no idea whether it's a
Yikes, Sawtooth, or BinLaden board), and I ordered it from Apple
without a modem, as I expected to be using it exclusively on an
office network and would never need the modem anyway.

Now I'm looking into setting it up at home for standalone work, but
I'd like to keep in touch with the world by email, and so I figure a
cheap dialup connection is all I really need.

The thing is, I installed a Griffin serial port (which I'm delighted
with BTW - it works transparently and painlessly with my printer and
my MIDIman) and it took over my modem connection. So my question is,
can I use one of my 3 empty PCI slots to put in a PC-style modem
card? Is there such an animal?  I've been sniffing around the net
like a truffle-hound and haven't found ONE that's for a mac. Maybe
there is no such thing....?

I know, I could buy a regular serial modem, and swap plugs regularly
with the printer. I was looking for a more elegant solution. Maybe
there's a USB modem? I have a spare USB jack.

Appreciate knowing what is the score, if anyone has been down this path...

TX