[G4] Can my G4 use DVD-R disks?

Vicki Schalin unicorn at dax.nu
Fri Jan 31 17:09:16 PST 2003

>  > I have a G4, 500 Mhz, AGP (winter 2000) with a drive that can read
>>  CDs and read&write to DVD-RAM. I recently tested a DVD-R that a
>>  friend of mine burnt but that disk wouldn't show at all in the
>>  finder. It refused to mount.
>>
>>  So, can my computer read any DVD-R at all, or was it just something
>>  wrong with this disk?
>>
>>  I haven't tested this before because I have never had any DVD-R
>>  before, just regular DVDs bought in stores.
>>
>>  This is my mac-model:
>>
>http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g4/stats/powermac_g4_500.html

>Go to your utilities folder and run system profiler; what does it tell you
>about your CD drive? (note: Clicking the triangle next to it's name will
>give you loads of information.)

Thank you, I forgot that. But I'm not that much cleverer now:

DVD-RAM-unit
unit number	0
ata device type	atapi
device serial
device revision	A105
Product Identification	PD-2 LF-D110

It still is unclear to me if this will read DVD-R.

And to clarify to some other persons who answered my question:
DVD-RAM is _not_ the same as normal DVDs. I cant burn DVDs, just read
and write to DVD-RAM. These things comes in plastic shells, much like
large 1,4MB-discs of old (if you remember..:-). They do not fit into
DVD-players (unless you remove the plastics, but that's not
recomended) and they are really expensive. This is not a superdrive,
and I can't burn CDs.

Doesn't anyone else have this kind of G4? Can you read DVD-R??

/ Vicki
--
Vicki Schalin