[G4] Comparing Folder contents

Wilkin, Wayne (Mass) Wayne.Wilkin at Staples.com
Fri Jul 4 02:54:16 PDT 2003

 Very cool John, didn't know the "diff" command.

-----Original Message-----
From: John Haffner
To: Power Macintosh G4 List
Sent: 7/3/03 1:35 PM
Subject: Re: [G4] Comparing Folder contents

Hi David,

You can use the diff command with two directory names (folders) as your
arguments, as in:

diff Widgets OlderWidgets

You'll get a listing of files that are only in one directory or the
other, and of files that are in both. It will even search recursively
if you ask. More options available under man diff.

I would imagine you could pipe the output to a file, sorting it as you
go...

Best Regards,

John Haffner

On Thursday, July 3, 2003, at 05:21  AM, Wilkin, Wayne (Mass) wrote:

>  You can do an ls -la on each directory. this will give you a list of
> all
> files even hidden ones by using the terminal..

----------
G4ist, a listserv for discussion of everything G4.
FAQ at <http://www.themacintoshguy.com/lists/G4.html>.
Send a message to <G4-DIGEST at themacintoshguy.com> to switch to the
digest.

XRouter | Share your DSL or cable modem between multiple computers!
Dr. Bott | Now $139.99      <http://www.drbott.com/prod/xrouter.html>

Dr. Bott LLC   4-port USB Hub in translucent Graphite!
Dr. Bott LLC   <http://www.drbott.com/prod/ghub.html>

Small Dog Electronics   http://www.smalldog.com  | Canon Digital Cameras

--Quicksilver & refurbished G4's arriving daily! |   and Camcorders!!

OS X News, Dr.Mac, Forums, Tutorials, Tips, Hints, FAQ?s -
http://www.osxfaq.com