[G4] G-4 or G-5 purchase?

Kunga Kunga at FutureMedia.org
Wed Jul 9 12:30:28 PDT 2003

I think it's a money/nostalgia thing. The "new" (last year's) dual 1.25
G4 w/2MB L3 cache sans Airport Extreme and FW 800 is a bargain at $1599
and it boots 9 natively. Still waiting for mine I ordered the morning
after the SteveNote June 24 two weeks ago.

If 9 is of zero interest to you and you can afford the $4K total
including RAM and second 250 GB SATA drive the dual 2 GB G5 will cost
and the wait until October you are likely to have to endure if you
haven't ordered one already, then by all means order the dual 2 G5.

I would much rather have an $1800 (including $168 for three 512MB 2700
RAM modules I already bought and shipping) dual 1.25 that boots 9 soon
than wait months for a $4K G5 that won't boot 9. But that's just me.

Plus I figure I can get a dual 2 G5 refurbished after MacWorld for
about $2500 in January or maybe even at the end of July after New York.
For me they are separate issues. I want the most powerful last PowerMac
that boots 9 AND a dual 2 GHz G5. I am a conspicuous Macintosh computer
consumer.

kunga10 (AIM)

"iChat AV, The Killer App" <http://www.osx-zone.com>
"We're Looking At A Long Period of Labor 'til January"
<http://www.apple-zone.com>
"Verax MDD-FW800 Silence Kit Kills Almost All The Noise"
<http://www.apple-zone.com>
"iPod Software 2.0.1 Update Released" <http://www.ipod-zone.com>