[G4] G-4 or G-5 purchase?

C Tangora chris.tangora at news-jrnl.com
Wed Jul 9 13:56:08 PDT 2003

Consider this....

Panther (OS) is not going to be 64 bit ready.

Do you need the 8GB of RAM in the G5?

Can your budget afford a G5?

Would you rather have 2 G4's for the same price?

If you are talking about high-end performance needs, wait for the G5.

If you are thinking of taking on an assistant, get two G4's for the same
price.

If you are going to get the G4 and want future compatibility...  get the RAM
maxed ... make an internal RAID for faster data saving/transfer ... and buy
a maxxed out video card (and of course the DVD-R super drive).

While you should be cautious of the first product line of the G5, I would
only caution against buying the lower end Mac.  It is limited to 4GB of RAM
I believe.  While the mid and high-end offer the 8GB.

If you are not going to buy any new programs in the next year, I would
suggest staying with the G4 also.  The new 64-bit programs won't be rolling
out immediately, so by the time that the second generation G5's come out and
you can buy a new computer and new programs to run on it.

just the thoughts of a crazy man....

chris tangora