[G4] Disk Size????

Snoke Jay S NPRI SnokeJS at Npt.NUWC.Navy.Mil
Mon Jul 28 06:57:42 PDT 2003

	Mike-
		Being the proud owner of a similar Mac - originally, a beige G3 at 266 MHz upgraded similarly.  You've already done the most expensive part of the upgrade with the G4. Here are my recommendations:

		1. Upgrade the RAM to the max - 768 MB (three x 256 MB).  RAM is cheap...about $22-25/stick.
		2. The maximum hard drive size that can be "seen"  by the system is much much larger than the original 4 GB drive;  however, this Mac *must* have the OS on it in a partition no larger than 8 GB - and it must be the first partition.  20-40 GB is probably a good size.
		3.  I'd upgrade the video with a PCI video board.  Radeon 7000 is a good choice.  The on-board video is disgustingly slow.
		4.  Next, firewire and USB is another nice cheap addition as a PCI upgrade.
		5.  Lastly, upgrade the OS to 10.2.6.  It's the last upgrade you'll be able to put on that G3 (IIRC), and the fastest and most stable version.

		hth-
		Jay