[G4] I Miss OS9's Apple Menu

Gregory Cortelyou chefgreg at mac.com
Wed Jul 30 20:24:37 PDT 2003

On Wednesday, July 30, 2003, at 09:55  AM, Dale Hoffman wrote:

> In OS9's Apple Menue, I could access any file or application via
> convenient cascading drop-downs simply by placing aliases within
> organizational folders.
>
> What do I have in OSX that comes close? The "Favorites" feature, which
> reminds me more of Microsoft's Explorer than anything Apple, will let
> me place folders inside of it, but when I access them from "GO" in the
> Menu bar, these nested folders do not "cascade" open. Instead I have
> to open them manually,  or resort to a Column View window which takes
> up space and requires multiple steps.
>
> Let me put my own icon in the Menu Bar which will reveal hierarchical
> folder contents via spring-loaded cascading lists, or give folders
> within "Favorites" the ability to drop down without using Column View.
>
> Am I missing something? or is there a 3rd party solution I need to buy?
>
> DlaeH
> \
I know lot's of people have gone to fruit menu and like it, I am a
little scared of it because it majorly changes the way parts of the
system expect themselves to be when installing updates etc. In any
case, I had an apple menu in the old days that I had labored over. I
was very proud of it and it worked for me and I was sooooo scared to
live without it. It was a major factor holding me back from making the
switch to X. I did not want to give up this labor of love, my apple
menu. Well, today I never think about the apple menu. I don't miss it
at all. Yes, it's still there on my 9 partition, but I almost never go
there to see it. With an alias of my HD and my Home folder in my dock I
am happy and I LOVE COLUMN VIEW.
That's just me though.
Greg