[G4] I Miss OS9's Apple Menu

Gregory Cortelyou chefgreg at mac.com
Thu Jul 31 06:48:10 PDT 2003

On Thursday, July 31, 2003, at 08:43 AM, Dale Hoffman wrote:

> At 11:24 PM -0400 7/30/03, Gregory Cortelyou wrote:
> I know lot's of people have gone to fruit menu and like it, I am a
> little scared of it because it majorly changes the way parts of the
> system expect themselves to be when installing updates etc.
>
> Greg,
> I haven't installed Fruit Menu yet but am feeling cautious as well. Is
> your fear based on any reports?
> While searching Version Tracker for Apple Menu emulators, I came upon
> Classic Menu by Sig Software.
> Their web page assures that
>
> 	"Users concerned by the instability of competing
> 	products should note that Classic Menu is a simple
> 	application and applies no patches or low-level hacks."

I have not heard of Classic Menu, and have no first hand reports of
problems with Fruit Menu. But I am a frequent visitor to Apples OS X
discussion forum, and people are constantly having problems with
updates not working for various reasons chief among them according to
"helpers" is the low level hack performed by applications such as Fruit
Menu. Anytime someone is having a big problem, someone will ask "do you
have fruit menu installed" and the answer will be "yes". To which the
advice is "remove it." I am sure there are many people who have no
problems with it. I also know that you need to check back for updates
to it frequently as the developers are aware of the problems and are
fixing it. Lot's of people have it, I just don't need it.