[G4] Adobe Acrobat Reader v 5.1 vs 6

Maretta Holden maretta.holden at boeing.com
Thu Jul 31 11:31:41 PDT 2003

>>I recall that Adobe came out with a version 6 of the Acrobat Reader.  I
>>tried it and it really seemed slow and the flash screen seemed to stay up
>>forever.  I may have trashed it because my current .pdf application is
>>Acrobat Reader 5.1.
>>
>>Any good reason to download the newer version?
>
>The new version 6.0 shows promise with a thoughtful re-organization
>and simplification of the toolbar and menus.
>
>But it fails to execute well: it is very sloooow compared to 5.1.
>Opening documents is slow, scrolling/paging is slow, and the new
>sophisticated Find feature is unbelievably slow.
>
>Version 5.0 was buggy and slow, with much improvement in 5.1.
>Hopefully, a 6.1 will similarly improve someday. For now, I'm
>looking for an old copy of the 5.1 installer.
>
>--Basil Bourque

I am running the new Adobe Reader 6.0 on a PB G3 (Pismo) with 320 MB
memory running Mac OS X 10.2.6.

I have not found either startup or document opening to be noticeably
slower than 5.1.

I currently have 400 and 800 page documents open, each filled with
complex color diagrams.

I am absolutely thrilled with the new 'find' capability which
presents a scrolling list of location links (in context) to the right
of the document page, allowing me to jump around in a complex
document following a subject thread without having to page to the
next or previous highlighted text.

- Maretta Holden