[G4] CMLXX's anyone....?

Mel mkrewall at mac.com
Sat Jun 7 11:13:26 PDT 2003

When Disk Utility reports to you, it reports in base 2, with each
k=1024 bytes and M=1024k. When you read a disk manufacturer's
literature, however, they will tell you that 1GB=1,000,000,000 bytes.
So your raw 60GB disks starts out about 57GB in computer terms. Apple
uses the claimed capacity from the the disk manufacturer, so the 10 GB
disk is 10,000,000,000 bytes. Apple does note this in the fine print;
at the bottom of my Quicksilver brochure one of the footnotes says "1GB
= 1 billion bytes, actual formatted capacity less".
Mel