[G4] Aha! 970's! & the Bus

Daniel Brieck djbrieck at mac.com
Wed Jun 11 09:26:48 PDT 2003

The most important thing that has to happen with the new powermacs  is
to leave behind the legacy Maxbus  and all the other technologies that
are slowing/ limiting  the machines like ATA 66 and ATA 100 buses and
finally the AGP 4x slot. Apple should make a machine that pushes the
limits in all aspects and not just stick with what is adequate to run
the machine. Here is an interesting read about a machine that is ahead
of its time.

http://www.acornworld.net/~jmayrand/macII.html

Now notice the section about the Mac IIfx, this computer had a 40 MHz
processor and a 40 MHz bus, that is pushing the limit. Now I don't if
that is even possible with todays computers speeds, but the bus gap
should be closed with the next generation powermacs it just make sense
to do so. This is what we hear rumors about the IBM PPC 970 and the new
system bus to accompany it.

Questions:

What speed should the next generation mac bus run at?

I would say about 800 MHz.

What does everyone think the bus speed should be at?

Dan Brieck Jr.